Welcome to the
Kern River Watershed Coalition Authority
The Kern River Watershed Coalition Authority (KRWCA) is a joint powers authority, established to serve as the coordinator and coalition (third-party) group under the Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (ILRP) in the Kern River watershed portion of the Kern County. On February 4, 2014 the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board (Water Board) issued a Notice of Applicability (NOA) to the KRWCA, approving the KRWCA to represent member owners/growers of irrigated agricultural lands within the KRWCA boundary under the ILRP.
News & Important Dates
- MPEP Technical Meeting held Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - The MPEP Technical Meeting held on March 28 at the Kern Ag Pavilion in Bakersfield included discussions on: an overview of the MPEP and what it has to do with the ILRP, what the MPEP will do for growers, how it will work and what it will produce, and an overview of management tools and information available for growers. We have posted the presentation online, as well as resources for the following crops: Walnuts, Almonds, Citrus, Grapes, and Tomatoes.
- Southern San Joaquin Valley Management Practices Evaluation Program Summary (PDF) – This summary outlines ways to identify and solve water quality problems within the Tulare Lake Basin. The complete, submitted MPEP Workplan is also available under KRWCA Reports on the News & Updates page.
- Farm Evaluation Survey (PDF) – Reminder: Farm Evaluation Surveys for all farms located within the high vulnerability areas were due on March 1, 2017. If you have not already done so, please complete for the 2016 crop/harvest year ASAP. Farm Evaluations MUST be submitted through ILRP Farm.
- Nitrogen Management Plan Summary Report (PDF) - NMP Summary Reports for all large farms with parcels designated in high vulnerability areas were due on March 1, 2017. The NMP Summary Report summarizes the information from the 2016 NMP Worksheet, and MUST be submitted through ILRP Farm.
- Nitrogen Management Plan Worksheet (PDF) – The NMP Worksheet for the 2017 crop/harvest year was due March 1, 2017 for all farms within designated high vulnerability areas and CERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED. All farms within low vulnerability areas must prepare a NMP worksheet as well, but do not need to certify the plan.
- General Guidance on the Timeline Requirements for ILRP Nitrogen Management Plans for Citrus Crops (PDF)– A guidance document developed to help citrus growers understand and visualize the timeline and due dates of the annual ILRP NMP Worksheet and NMP Summary Report.
- Annual Grower Education meetings were held on December 20, 2016 in Bakersfield, January 3, 2017 in Wasco, January 5, 2017 in Buttonwillow, and January 10, 2017 in Bakersfield again. Agendas for all four meetings were identical and included information regarding Nitrogen Management Plan Worksheets, and Farm Evaluation and Nitrogen Management Summary Reports (due March 1, 2017, no exceptions). If you were unable to attend one of the meetings, we have posted the presentation online.
KRWCA Winter 2016 Newsletter (PDF) – The Winter 2016 newsletter includes updates and information on: KRWCA Membership; Groundwater Quality Assessment Report, the Management Practices Evaluation Program, Sediment Discharge & Erosion Assessment Report, Surface Water Management Program, Chanac Creek Surface Water Quality Management Plan, Farm Evaluation Surveys, Sediment & Erosion Control Plans, Nitrogen Management Plan Worksheets and Summary Reports, reporting deadlines, and upcoming education/outreach events.